Site Search

1063 Matches Found – Page 50 of 89

Login

Artifact Search

Map Information

White Oak Primitive Baptist Church

This church, organized in 1789, was first known as White Oak Church of Christ but changed its name in the 1830s in opposition to Baptists straying from original doctrines. Many early black members had been enslaved at Chatham plantation. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

White Oak Museum Marker

Marker inscription: This modern road follows the route over which a mule-drawn wagon delivered the body of John Wilkes Booth, President Lincoln’s assassin, from Caroline County to Belle Plains for transport to the Navy Yard for an autopsy. Below this location, Russell “Rabbit” Sullivan was born and raised on modern-day Lorenzo Drive. Playing for the…

Union Church

Land was set aside for a church yard in Falmouth’s charter of 1728. The present structure, the third church to be erected on this lot, was built in the early nineteenth century. The church was used on a rotational basis by four denominations. Except for its remaining brick narthex, this place of worship was destroyed…

Stafford Courthouse

The site of an earlier courthouse, the current (1920s) building stands near the land route passage of Washington’s and Rochambeau’s Revolutionary War column transiting to and from Yorktown. During the Civil War, the courthouse was raided by Sickles’ brigade in April 1862 (during which many documents were destroyed, damaged and stolen) and a number of…

Stafford Civil War Park

The Stafford Civil War Park contains an Army of the Potomac winter camp; three large artillery batteries; segments of two corduroy roads; and a late 1700’s sand stone quarry. The majority of sites in the Park are linked to the Union Army of the Potomac’s 11th Corps’ 1st and 3rd Divisions. The 11th Corps is…

Shelton’s Cottage Marker

Marker inscription: This cottage is an example of an 18th century working man’s home and was named for the family that owned it for several generations. A unique feature of the cottage is a central fireplace, more commonly seen in New England.  

Potomac and Rappahannock Rivers

Stafford is bordered to the east by the Potomac River and to the south by the Rappahannock River, for a combined total of 51 miles of shoreline. The rivers and their tributaries were extremely important as Amerindian villages and during Colonial- and later periods, when water was used to power mills and to transport people…

Marlborough Marker

Marker inscription: Strategically situated at the tip of a peninsula jutting into the Potomac River at Potomac Creek, Marlborough was established under the Town Act of 1691 as a river port town. It served as the county seat of Stafford County from 1691 until about 1718. Marlborough never fully developed. In 1726, noted lawyer John…

Magistrate’s Office Marker

Marker inscription: The Magistrate’s Office is the oldest existing municipal building in Stafford County. Originally built for the town of Falmouth, the structure has been used as a courthouse (magistrate’s office) and voting place. Traditionally referred to as the Customs House, the earliest known account of the building, in 1895, refers to it as a…