Stafford Civil War Park

The Stafford Civil War Park contains an Army of the Potomac winter camp; three large artillery batteries; segments of two corduroy roads; and a late 1700’s sand stone quarry. The majority of sites in the Park are linked to the Union Army of the Potomac’s 11th Corps’ 1st and 3rd Divisions. The 11th Corps is most often associated with soldiers and regiments made up of native German speakers, however, many of its regiments also were non-immigrant U.S. soldiers from NY, OH, CT, PA, WI, and MA.

Outnumbered 15 to 1 by Union soldiers the winter of 1862-1863 brought suffering to Stafford’s civilians as well. Homes became hospitals or headquarters. Half of Stafford’s historical records were taken as souvenirs or destroyed when Stafford’s Courthouse was looted and later partially burned. Miles of fences, thousands of acres, and many farm houses or outbuildings were used to construct camps or feed thousands of Union campfires, that burned 24 hours a day. It took more than 60 years for Stafford’s population and economy to again reach its pre-war levels.