Austin Run Pyrite Mine Marker

Marker inscription:

Pyrite, an important source of sulfuric acid, was discovered in Stafford in 1902. Mining commenced near Smith Reservoir in 1903 but soon moved south to Garrisonville Road in what is now Hampton Oaks subdivision. The main shaft was 650 feet deep. In 1909, a narrow gauge railroad opened to carry ore to coal landing for shipment. Plagued by financial troubles, the mine closed c. 1926.