Site Search

1063 Matches Found – Page 45 of 89

Brig. General Theophilus Holmes

Brig. General Theophilus Holmes was Confederate commander of the Potomac Defense Line after Brig. General Ruggles. (June 6, 1861 – April 20, 1862)

Arrangements

General Robert E. Lee, then commanding the Provisional Army and Navy of Virginia, reported to Governor John Letcher on June 15, 1861: “Arrangements were first made for the establishment of batteries to prevent the ascent of our rivers by hostile vessels. As soon as an examination was made for the selection of sites, their construction…

Clifton Chapel

Clifton Chapel was built in the 1850s and provided a convenient place to worship for Widewater residents when poor weather conditions made travel to Aquia Church impossible.  The chapel occupied a hill overlooking the Potomac River.  With few trees in the area, the chapel offered an excellent observation post.  It served as the site of…

Mobilizing for War

Stafford’s prewar (1860) population was 8,633, including 3,394 enslaved (39 percent). Nearly 1,000 Staffordians – about half the white males — entered Confederate service. In the year between April 1861 and April 1862, over 9,000 Confederate forces occupied Stafford’s sector of the Potomac Defense Line from Mount Vernon to the Rappahannock. They harassed ships with…

Berea Church and Falmouth

After the skirmish at Aquia Church and Sickle’s antics at Stafford’s Courthouse, Sickles men withdrew from Stafford.  A larger Union force moved from the west towards Falmouth from Germantown, Catlett Station in Fauquier County.  These troops clashed with the Confederate rear guard near Berea Church on the afternoon of April 17th.  According to John Hennessey,…

Soldier Letter from Stafford

This letter is written by a German-American soldier who was serving in Stafford overlooking Fredericksburg.  His letter, written phonetically, shows what the common soldier went through during this First Federal Occupation. May 15th, 1862, Virginia Staford Co., Camp Near Falmouth Dear Cousan, As i have a fue lasur [leisure] moments to write to let you…

Letter by Charles Morton About Falmouth Skirmish

The following is a letter that was written by Charles Morton to his mother.  He tells her about the skirmish at Falmouth and the burial that took place at Union Church. FALMOUTH, (opposite Fredericksburgh) Tuesday, April 22nd, 1862. Dear Mother: I wrote a long letter a day or two ago to Father, giving him an…

Model 1850 Foot Officers Sword

Many of the infantry and engineer officers carried this Model 1850 Foot Officer’s Sword. This was a fully-capable fighting weapon. This artifact was one of only 500 produced in an 1861 contract by the famed Ames Sword Company. Unusually, this lot was stamped by Federal inspectors and dated “U.S./J.H./1861”. This model was also carried by…

Model 1850 Field and Staff Officers Sword

This Model 1850 Field and Staff Officer’s Sword was the type carried in Stafford by some majors and higher in line and staff positions. This sword, although decorative, was a fully-capable fighting weapon preferred by senior officers at risk of actually engaging the enemy.  It was replaced by a lighter, smaller model in 1860 (reflecting…

May 1862

On May 2, 1862, a command-reconnaissance party under Brigadier General Rufus King, crossed the new canal-boat bridge and reconnoitered Fredericksburg. An infantry company swept the town, occupied a tobacco warehouse, and posted pickets after discovering no Confederate threat. Five days later, the entire 23rd New York Infantry moved into the town and established headquarters opposite…

Lincoln in Stafford and Visits Fredericksburg

Once Union troops were in Fredericksburg, Lincoln came to Stafford.  On May 21st he visited commanders and troops at the Lacy House.  He went over the canal-boat bridge to Fredericksburg and was met by General Marsena Patrick who was commanding Union troops in town.  The two, along with Secretary of War, Edwin Stanton, had a…

7th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment

The 7th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment is shown here in Stafford overlooking the town of Fredericksburg.  Notice their Hardee hats.  They spent most of this First Federal Occupation as members of the “Iron Brigade.” 7th Wisconsin Infantry Hardee Hats 7th Wisconsin Infantry reenactors