Other Stafford Stories Shelton Shop Road

Shelton Shop Road

Who was Shelton and Where Was His Shop?  Over the years, people have asked about the location and history of Shelton’s Shop. We learned the story from long-time county resident, Mr. Kenny Kendall, of the location of Shelton’s blacksmith shop.

Shelton Shop Road (Route 648) is named for Gustavus “Gusty” Thomas Shelton (1874-1967) who ran a blacksmith shop at the corner of that road and Winding Creek Road. The house at 139 Shelton Shop Road now stands where the blacksmith shop was located. Gustavus was the son of Mason C. Shelton (c.1841-after 1920) and Nancy Jane Dixon who were living in Falmouth District at the time of the 1880 census. Gusty married Elnora Shelton (1872-1921), the daughter of Rolly Travis Shelton (1848-1935). Gusty and Elnora are buried at Mt. Ararat Baptist Church.

While the blacksmith shop was operated during more recent times, we have no photos of it. If anyone has a photo they can share, we’d love to see it!