Civil War & Reconstruction Civil War Second Union Occupation Stonemans Station

Stonemans Station

Stoneman’s Railroad Station, was located below today’s Conway Elementary School site.  According to Noel Harrison, National Park Service historian, Stoneman’s Station was a “flag stop” on the U.S.M.R.R. (R.F.&P.).  It received its name in November of 1862 when it was established to supply the nearby camps of Union General George Stoneman’s III Corps.  About half a year later, it became a complex with two canvas-roofed platforms, two sidings, two sheds, a railroad car converted into an office, a bakery, and an assortment of tents.  This depot was an important Union supply base during the Fredericksburg Campaign and afterwards.  During Lincoln’s April 1863 visit, he visited troops in hospital tents located at the station.

Other Stories In "Civil War & Reconstruction"