The Post War United States Ferry Farm Elementary School

Ferry Farm Elementary School

Ferry Farm Elementary School was established in the fall of 1957. The school opened its doors to 172 students from Ferry Farm, Argyle Heights, Tylerton, and Young’s Subdivision. The building consisted of seven classrooms, a library, a teacher’s lounge, a principal’s office, and a multi-purpose room to be used as both a cafeteria and an auditorium. Mrs. Mabel Jargowsky was named principal and was also given a teaching role. The school initially offered classes for grades one through six. In the 1959-1961 sessions, a seventh grade was added due to a lack of space elsewhere in the county. Enrollment pressures had become so great by 1962 that the county school system undertook the construction of a new classroom building at Ferry Farm. The new addition was ready for use by the fall of 1963 and offered ten more classrooms, a teacher’s lounge, and a basement. The teaching staff increased to include nineteen teachers. In the fall of 1965, vocal music was offered for the first time. In the spring of 1966, the first Head-Start classes in Stafford County were held at Ferry Farm. The school acquired the services of a part-time librarian in 1967 which became full-time the following year1. Today, Ferry Farm Elementary School serves PK-5 and has a student population of around 600.