Figure of the Week

William Mountjoy

Born 1711 - Died 1777

William Mountjoy (1711-1777) was the son of Edward Mountjoy (c.1660-1712), the immigrant.  William lived at Locust Hill near what’s now known as Brooke.  The Mountjoys built a stone gristmill that was later known as Brooke’s Mill.  In 1929 the stone from this building was sold and transported to the National Cathedral in Washington, DC and was used in the Bishop’s Garden there.  The Locust Hill tract extended eastward along Brooke Road (Route 608) towards Aquia Landing.  A patriot, William Mountjoy signed the Leedstown Resolutions.  He was a magistrate in Stafford during the 1770s and was a tobacco inspector at Cave’s Warehouse on Potomac Creek from at least 1742 to 1773.