Figure of the Week

Robert G. Hickerson

Born 1829 - Died 1898

Robert G. Hickerson (1829-1898) was the son of Ransom Hickerson (c.1794-1844) and Mary Mason Kendall (1799-c.1867) of Stafford.  In April 1863 Robert enlisted as a sergeant with the 9th Virginia Cavalry.  He was later appointed quartermaster sergeant.  Robert married Mary E. Combs (1832-1903), the widow of Bolivar C. Combs (1831-1862).  According to Robert’s obituary, the deceased, together with James P. Simpson, William B. Jones, William Snellings, and Edward Sterne, were appointed commissioners to view the road between Belle Plain and James’ Hill and to ascertain the cost of reopening it.  After completing their survey, the group met at the home of Simeon C. Peyton (c.1829-1905) for supper.  After their meal, the men retired to the parlor for cigars and port.  Robert G. Hickerson dropped dead with an apparent heart attack.  He was buried at Auburn, his farm in the upper part of Stafford County, now part of the Quantico Marine Corps reservation.