Figure of the Week

John Fox

Born c.1770 - Died 1843

John Fox (c.1770-1843) was the younger half brother of Nathaniel Fox (1748-1819) who appears in late eighteenth century Stafford records.  From 1791 to 1794 John served as Deputy Clerk of Court for Stafford County.  He married Nancy “Ann” Threlkeld (1772-1828), the daughter and only child of Elijah Threlkeld (1744-1798).  By means of this marriage he acquired Coal Trips on Aquia Creek.  This outstanding piece of property had a fine landing from which commercial fishing was conducted for many years.  John and Nancy lived there until around 1794 when they moved to Prince William County.  John Fox represented Stafford County in the Virginia House of Delegates 1798-1799.  Part of Coal Trips is now a Girl Scout camp very inaccurately named Cole’s Trip.